- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 14 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 pounds baking apples like Golden Delicious, Cortland, or Mutsu
- 2/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling on pie
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Generous pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. For dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Cut butter into dry ingredients until it resembles coarse meal. Add egg and stir dough together with a fork. If dough is dry, stir in up to 1 tablespoon more cold water. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. For filling: Place lemon juice in a medium bowl. Peel, halve, and core apples. Cut each half into 4 wedges. Toss apple with lemon juice. Add sugar and toss.
3. Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add apples, and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to simmer, about 2 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until apples soften and release their juices, about 7 minutes. Strain over a medium bowl and return juices to skillet. Simmer over medium heat until thickened, about 10 minutes. Toss apples with reduced juice and spices in a medium bowl. Cool completely.
4. Divide dough in half and roll each to a 12 inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Tranfer to parchment-lined baking sheet and chill 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 375F.
5. Fit a 9-inch pie pan with one dough circle. Trim to a 1/2 inch overhang and brush edges with egg. Mound in apple filling into pan and place second dough circle on top. Fold t nder of bottom edge; press to seal and crimp. Brush dough with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Prick top of dough in several places. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
6. Bake pie in lower third of oven and on a baking sheet until crust is golden, about 50 minutes. Cool on a rack.
Total Fat: 28 grams
Saturated Fat: 17 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 64 grams
Protein: 6 grams
Sodium: 100 milligrams
Cholesterol: 120 milligrams
Fiber: 4 grams
Thank you! your flag was submitted.