This delicious, colorful salad is a great way to introduce whole grains to your kids!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 scallions, whites and greens sliced
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded white meat rotisserie chicken, skin and bones removed (about 5 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded cabbage (such as napa, red, green or a combination)
- 1 cup thinly sliced (size of a matchstick) carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, sliced on the bias
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
Cook the quinoa according to package directions, set aside to cool.
Heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the ginger, scallions and garlic. Immediately turn off the heat and stir. Let cool slightly for a few minutes, then whisk in the lemon juice, soy sauce and sesame oil.
Put the cooked quinoa, chicken, cabbage, carrots and peas in a mixing bowl. Add the dressing and toss. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Keep refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Per serving (1 cup): Calories 250; Fat 10 g (Saturated 1 g); Cholesterol 25 mg; Sodium 470 mg; Carbohydrate 25 g; Protein 14 g; Fiber 5 g; Sugars 5 g