- 1/4 cup tightly packed cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Asian hot chili sauce, such as Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic
- One 2-inch chunk fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into twelve 3 1/2 to 4-inch strips
- 1/2 cup prepared dipping sauce, such as cilantro chutney, sweet chili sauce or ponzu sauce
- Special equipment: Twelve 6-inch wooden skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes
1. Combine the cilantro, oil, chili sauce, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mini food processor or blender and process until smooth.
2. Drain the skewers and thread a piece of chicken onto each skewer. Place the skewers in a large nonreactive baking dish and rub with the marinade mixture. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator 1 to 2 hours.
3. Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove the skewers from the baking dish and discard the marinade. Cook the chicken, turning once, until well charred and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.