Asian Watermelon Salad
- 1/3 cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 small shallots (1 thinly sliced, 1 finely chopped)
- Kosher salt
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chopped seedless watermelon
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons cocktail peanuts, roughly chopped
Heat the peanut oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F. Add the sliced shallot and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; season with salt.
Add the cilantro, basil, mint and 2 tablespoons peanuts to the salad and season with salt; toss to combine. Top with the remaining 1 tablespoon peanuts and the fried shallot.
Photograph by Kana Okada
Thank you! your flag was submitted.