Asparagus, Cherry Pepper and Bacon Quiche
- Store-bought or homemade pie dough
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted asparagus
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped jarred cherry peppers
- 1/3 cup sauteed sliced onions
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 3/4 to 1 cup shredded jarlsberg cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, half-and-half or milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or chile powder, or some grated lemon zest (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pie dough and crimp as desired; chill 30 minutes. Line with foil, then fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until the crust is set, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and continue baking until lightly golden, 5 to 10 more minutes. Let cool while you prepare the filling.
Make the filling: Put the asparagus, cherry peppers and onions in a large bowl. Add the bacon and jarlsberg and toss to combine.
Whisk the eggs, heavy cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Stir in the paprika, chile powder or lemon zest, if desired. Spread the vegetable-cheese mixture in the crust, then pour the egg mixture on top. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until the filling is set, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Photograph by Andrew Purcell
Thank you! your flag was submitted.