Game plan: If pressed for time, use a mild store-bought salsa, either red or green.
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- 1/3 cup Salsa Verde, recipe follows
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese (about 1/2 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Lightly oil a medium nonstick skillet with an ovenproof handle. Spoon a heaping 1/3 cup of salsa into the pan. Lightly press down the salsa to make 4 evenly spaced shallow nests and break an egg into each. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until the egg whites are cooked and the yolks are still runny, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese over the eggs and continue baking until just melted, about 1 minute more. Top with the cilantro. Serve immediately.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1/4 jalapeno chile, with seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
Put the tomatillos in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain.
Yield: About 3 cups
Nutrient Value Per Tablespoon: 5 calories, 1 g carbohydrate, 0.3 g fiber, 0.2 g fat (0 g saturated)