Excerpted from Jamie and Bobby Deen's book, The Deen Bros. Take It Easy (Ballantine)
- Vegetable oil, butter or cooking spray, for greasing
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
In a separate bowl, mix together the onion, milk, eggs and butter. Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until the flour mixture is just moistened.
Spoon 1 tablespoon of the batter into each of the prepared mini muffin cups. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the hush puppies are firm to the touch and golden brown around the edges.
Photograph by Hallie Burton