- 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur or brandy
- Kosher salt
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled, halved lengthwise and crosswise
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- Whipped cream, for serving
Melt the butter with the sugar, orange zest and vanilla bean in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until the sugar caramelizes, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the liqueur, orange juice and a pinch of salt.
Return the skillet to medium heat, add the bananas, cut-side down, and cook until glazed and golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and divide among bowls.
Add the rum to the pan and return to medium heat. Warm for a few seconds without stirring, then carefully tilt the pan so the rum ignites (if using an electric stove, hold a lit match near the sauce to ignite it). Spoon the flaming sauce over the bananas. Garnish with whipped cream and the glazed orange zest.
Photograph by Marcus Nilsson