- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium canned, or homemade
- 1 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 scallion (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the barley, oil, and salt. Bring back to a boil, adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes more.
Meanwhile make the dressing: Whisk the lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream, to make a smooth dressing.
Drain excess liquid from barley, if needed. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the remaining salad ingredients and dressing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Christmas Cobb Salad, Garden Salad with Smoked Almond Dressing, Frisee Salad with Spiced Walnuts, Pears, Farmhouse Cheddar, and Port Vinaigrette, Green Bean Salad Recipes, Lobster Salad Recipes, Salad Dressing, Spinach Salad Recipes, Shrimp Salad Recipes, Cucumber Salad Recipes