- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium canned, or homemade
- 1 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 scallion (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the barley, oil, and salt. Bring back to a boil, adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes more.
Meanwhile make the dressing: Whisk the lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream, to make a smooth dressing.
Drain excess liquid from barley, if needed. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the remaining salad ingredients and dressing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
From Food Network Kitchens