- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 4 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems cut into 1/2-inch pieces, leaves shredded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Cooked rice, for serving (optional)
Toss the beef with 1 tablespoon each cornstarch and vinegar and 2 teaspoons soy sauce in a medium bowl. In another bowl, stir the brown sugar, the remaining 2 teaspoons each cornstarch and vinegar, the remaining 1 teaspoon soy sauce, and 1/3 cup water until dissolved.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and wipe out the skillet.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet over high heat. Add the garlic and red onion and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, chard stems, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste and stir-fry until the vegetables are just tender, 4 minutes. Add the chard leaves and stir-fry until wilted. Stir the brown sugar mixture and add to the skillet along with the beef, stirring, until thickened, 1 minute. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve with rice.
Per serving (does not include rice): Calories:300 ;Total Fat: 15 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Protein: 28 grams; Total carbohydrates: 13 grams; Sugar: 0 grams; Fiber: 2 grams; Cholesterol: 41 milligrams; Sodium: 561 milligrams
Photograph by Andrew Purcell