Beef Medallions with Saucy Shiitakes
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 beef tenderloin medallions (about 4 ounces each), patted dry
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms (about 12 medium), stemmed
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Cognac or other brandy, or Madeira
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 3 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium skillet (ideally not nonstick) over medium-high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Add the medallions to the pan and cook about 3 minutes on each side, for medium-rare, or until desired doneness. Remove beef from pan and set on plates or a platter in a warm spot.
Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the skillet. Add the shiitakes and cook over medium-low heat, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the shallots, garlic, and salt and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Pull the skillet from the heat, add the Cognac, and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits that cling to the pan. Return to the heat and cook until the liquid is reduced, about 1 minute. (If you are cooking over a gas flame the alcohol may flame, simply cook until the flames die down.) Add the chicken broth, and cook until saucy, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat, stir in the sour cream and parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
Spoon mushrooms and sauce over the medallions and serve.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchens