- 2 bunches medium beets, (about 1 1/2 pounds) tops trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 bunch arugula, trimmed and torn
- 1/2 medium head escarole, torn
- 4 ounces goat cheese, (preferably aged goat cheese) crumbled
Put the beets in a saucepan with water to cover and season generously with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them--the skins should slide right off with a bit of pressure from your fingers. If they don't, use a paring knife to scrape off any bits that stick. Cut each beet into bite-sized wedges.
Whisk the vinegar with salt and pepper, to taste, in a large bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow steady stream to make a dressing. Toss the cut beets in the dressing; set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and oven-toast, stirring once, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Cool.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.