- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve the drippings.
Make the dressing: Combine the tomato paste, vinegar, sour cream, shallot, tarragon, sugar and 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in a medium bowl; whisk well. Add the olive oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified. Whisk in 2 to 3 tablespoons water to make the dressing thin enough to drizzle. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the iceberg wedges on a platter and drizzle with the dressing. Top with the tomatoes and bacon.
Photograph by Jonny Valiant