Braised Celery with Parmesan
- 1 head celery with leaves, ribs separated
- 1 cup chicken broth, low-sodium canned or homemade, or water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 to 12 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds, optional
- 1 sprig thyme, optional
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
Peel the tough, fibrous layers from the outer celery ribs. Split the ribs lengthwise and cut into 2 to 3-inch long pieces. Chop 2 tablespoons of the celery leaves, save the rest for other usesthey are great in salads.
Put the celery, broth, olive oil, garlic, celery seeds, and thyme in a medium skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat, and then adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Place a circle of parchment paper directly on the vegetables or set a lid slightly ajar on the skillet. Cook until the celery is tender but not mushy, about 15 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a serving dish, and reduce the cooking liquid to a saucy glaze. Remove the thyme sprig, and pour the cooking liquid over the celery, sprinkle with the cheese, and serve.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.