Braised Celery with Parmesan
- 1 head celery with leaves, ribs separated
- 1 cup chicken broth, low-sodium canned or homemade, or water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 to 12 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds, optional
- 1 sprig thyme, optional
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
Peel the tough, fibrous layers from the outer celery ribs. Split the ribs lengthwise and cut into 2 to 3-inch long pieces. Chop 2 tablespoons of the celery leaves, save the rest for other usesthey are great in salads.
Put the celery, broth, olive oil, garlic, celery seeds, and thyme in a medium skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat, and then adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Place a circle of parchment paper directly on the vegetables or set a lid slightly ajar on the skillet. Cook until the celery is tender but not mushy, about 15 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a serving dish, and reduce the cooking liquid to a saucy glaze. Remove the thyme sprig, and pour the cooking liquid over the celery, sprinkle with the cheese, and serve.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchens