Braised Red Cabbage
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 45 min
- 15 min
- 1 hr 30 min
- about 4 to 6 side dish serving
- 3 slices raw bacon, minced
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 10 whole allspice
- 8 juniper berries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 pounds red cabbage (about 1 large or 2 small heads), cored and shredded
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and diced
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Heat a large pot, with a tight-fitting lid, over high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until crispy and its fat has rendered, about 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, add the onion, allspice, juniper berries, cinnamon, and bay leaf and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and the spices are fragrant, about 7 minutes.
Raise the heat to medium-high, add the cabbage and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 8 minutes. Add the apple, wine, water, vinegar, sugar, and the salt, season with pepper, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, about 1 hour.
Uncover; bring to a boil, and cook, stirring, until the liquid has reduced to a sauce-like consistency, about 5 minutes. Season generously with pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and serve.