A grilled steak can be a treat anytime of the year. Here we take a few pantry staples like brown sugar and pepper to make the rich fruity and herb notes of a cabernet sauvignon sing.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 1 large red onion, cut into thick rounds
- Olive oil
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for serving
1. Preheat a grill to high heat. Mix the brown sugar, 2 tablespoons salt, and 1 tablespoon pepper together in a small bowl. Rub into the steaks and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Drizzle the onion with olive oil and season with some salt. Grill on each side until soft and darkly charred, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
3. Grill the steaks on high heat until crisp, about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes, and then slice the steaks across the grain. Serve over the grilled onions with a lime wedge.