- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces wagon-wheel pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces andouille sausage, diced
- 2 bunches scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper (red or green), chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cajun spice blend
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 1 minute less than the label directs. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, combine the olive oil and sausage in a large skillet over high heat and cook, stirring, until the sausage starts to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the scallions and bell pepper and cook until the vegetables are slightly soft, about 3 more minutes. Add the Cajun spice and flour and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk and continue whisking until the sauce is thick and smooth, about 5 more minutes.
Add the pasta, cheese and reserved cooking water to the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, tossing to coat the pasta in the sauce and melt the cheese, about 1 minute.
Per serving: Calories 794; Fat 39 g (Saturated 18 g); Cholesterol 102 mg; Sodium 920 mg; Carbohydrate 76 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 36 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos