- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 12 ounces spicy chicken sausage (preferably Cajun style), cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped frozen okra, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Add the sausage, onion, celery and bell pepper to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft and the sausage begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
Add the garlic, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the skillet, then stir in the rice. Add the chicken broth and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Stir in the okra, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, 5 minutes. Add the bacon and parsley and fluff with a fork.
Per serving: Calories 288; Fat 12 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 74 mg; Sodium 1,259 mg; Carbohydrate 27 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 19 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos