California Wrap Sandwich
- Four 10-inch flour tortillas
- 8 to 12 trimmed leaves of green or red leaf lettuce, washed and dried
- 12 ounces sliced cooked turkey breast
- 12 slices apple-wood smoked bacon, cooked
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, cored and cut into 16 wedges
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 16 slices tossed with 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup arugula or watercress, washed and dried
- 1/2 recipe Ranch dressing, recipe follows
- RANCH DRESSING
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup prepared or homemade mayonnaise
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
Wrap tortillas in barely damp, doubled layers of paper towels and microwave on high for 45 to 60 seconds. Alternatively, heat the tortillas individually in an un-greased large skillet over medium heat.
Lay the tortillas on a cutting board and start to layer the ingredients. Fan the leaf lettuce on the top three-quarters of each tortilla then lay the turkey slices on top, followed by the bacon, tomato, and avocado. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with the arugula and some of the dressing. Fold up the bottom quarter of the tortilla and then start to roll each sandwich into a cone shape. Secure the tortilla with a toothpick. Serve immediately.
Mash the garlic and salt to a paste with the side of a chef's knife. In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, mayonnaise, 1/4-cup buttermilk, parsley, chives, scallion, vinegar, and pepper to taste. If the sauce is very thick, thin the dressing with a couple more tablespoons of the buttermilk. Use immediately or refrigerate, covered, for up to 3 days.
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.