Caramel Apple Cake
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- Total Time:
- 4 hr
- 30 min
- 3 hr 30 min
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, plus 1/4 cup for apples
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground apple or pumpkin pie spice blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 4 large golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped (about 5 cups)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Finely grated zest from 1 orange
- Juice 1 orange (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Caramel Glaze:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter and flour a 10-cup Bundt pan.
2. For cake: Whisk flour, 1 1/3 cups sugar, 1 teaspoon pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
3. Toss apples with remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon pie spice and set aside.
4. Whisk eggs and oil together in a large bowl. Whisk in sour cream, orange zest and juice, and vanilla. Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined but slightly lumpy.
5. Using a slotted spoon, scatter about 1/2 cup apples in bottom Bundt pan. Place about 1/3 batter on top. Repeat, alternating remaining apples and batter, ending with batter.
6. Bake cake until a skewer inserted into center cake comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; invert onto a rack placed over a baking sheet. Cool.
7. For caramel: Stir sugar, corn syrup, and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, swirling pan but not stirring, until sugar is a dark amber-colored caramel, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; carefully pour in cream. Stir in pecans, vanilla, and salt. Cool until caramel becomes thick and syrupy; pour over cake; cool until set.