Caribbean Strip Steak with Plantains
- 2 cloves garlic
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 strip steaks, about 1-inch thick (8 to 10 ounces each)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (11-ounce) package frozen cooked plantains, thawed and cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons honey
1. Prepare a grill pan or grill with a high heat direct heat. Smash the garlic, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and, with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear the mixture to a coarse paste. Stir into the olive oil along with the lemon juice, cumin, turmeric, allspice, and cayenne in a small bowl. Rub into the meat on both sides and set aside.
2. Lightly oil the hot grill grates. Season the steaks with salt and pepper and grill over direct heat until nicely marked, about 3 minutes a side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate or platter and let rest for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet, then add the plantains and honey. Cook, stirring often until glazed and warmed through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Serve steak with the plantains.
Total Fat: 23 grams
Saturated Fat: 8 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 35 grams
Protein: 60 grams
Sodium: 273 milligrams
Cholesterol: 117 milligrams
Fiber: 2 grams
Thank you! your flag was submitted.