The flavor of dry, oaky chardonnay gets an alluring spin set into the rich mouthfeel of creamy ice cream. To play up the oaky qualities of chardonnay, we added smoked sea salt as a garnish. Serve your freshly spun ice cream with crisp, tangy apples soaked in chardonnay for a clean finish to any meal, or pile onto apple pie or roasted apples for a cozy but sophisticated treat.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Pinch saffron threads, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup chardonnay, plus more for soaking apples
- Pinch freshly ground white pepper
- 1 Pink Lady or other tart-crisp apple, for garnish
- Chardonnay smoked sea salt, for garnish
1. Combine the cream, egg yolks, sugar, and pinch saffron in a medium saucepan over low heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. The sauce will start to thicken in about 15 minutes, but do not let it boil. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl set over ice. Add the milk, chardonnay, and white pepper; stir until cool.
2. Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions until just set, about 25 minutes. Place in the freezer for 1 hour before serving.
3. Thinly slice the apple into thin batons and soak in a shallow bowl of chardonnay until ready to serve. Divide the ice cream among 4 bowls and garnish with the apple batons, a sprinkle of sea salt, and a few saffron threads.