Delicious, comfort food for an easy brunch on Sunday. We cut the fat using reduced fat milk instead of half and half or cream. But you'll hardly miss it.
- Cooking spray
- 6 ounces thinly-sliced deli ham, torn into quarters
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, split, toasted and halved
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes not in oil (about 14), sliced
- 4 scallions, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 cups reduced-fat milk (2 percent)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lightly mist a round 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Alternately place the ham and muffins in the dish to make a shingled pattern. Sprinkle the sundried tomatoes, scallions and 1/3 cup cheddar over the casserole.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, and mustard; season with salt and pepper. Pour the custard filling over the casserole and sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Cover the casserole with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 5 hours and up to overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the casserole on a large rimmed baking sheet; bake until golden around edges and just set, about 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Calories 227; Total Fat 8g (Sat Fat 4g, Mono Fat 1.7g, Poly Fat .7g) ; Protein 17g; Carb 22.5g; Fiber 3g; Cholesterol 131mg; Sodium 835mg