- 12 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- Assorted dippers, for serving
Toss the cheeses with the flour in a bowl. Rub the inside of a saucepan with the cut sides of the garlic; discard the garlic.
Whisk the wine, lemon juice and mustard in the saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Add half of the cheese mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until melted. Add the remaining cheese mixture and stir until smooth; add the nutmeg.
Continue to cook, stirring, 2 more minutes. Transfer to a fondue pot or slow cooker to keep warm. Serve with your choice of dippers.
Try these unlikely dippers:
Pearl onions (blanched)
Mini hot dogs
Butternut squash (roasted)
Corn on the cob