- 12 (5-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/2 pound Cheddar, Monterey Jack or Colby cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- Topping and Salsa:
- 1 pound vine-ripened tomatoes (about 2 tomatoes)
- 1/4 small red onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce such as chipotle or Mexican green chili sauce to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- Kosher salt
- 1 Hass avocado, halved, seeded, and sliced
Lay 6 tortillas on a work surface. Divide the cheese among the tortillas. (Its best to leave about an inch border on the edge of the tortilla uncovered to allow for the spread of the melting cheese.) Top with remaining tortillas and press gently to seal. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small skillet. Carefully place a quesadilla in the skillet and fry, turning once, until golden and little bubbles appear on both sides, about 4 to 5 minutes total. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas, wiping out the pan between batches if the butter burns, and adding more butter, as needed.
While the quesadillas cook make the salsa: Halve the tomatoes and grate them on the largest holes of a box grater into a bowl, discarding the skins. Grate the onion into the tomato, and stir in the cilantro, hot sauce, and salt, to taste.
Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges with a pizza wheel or knife and serve with the salsa and avocado.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.