- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 16-ounce package frozen phyllo dough (about 40 sheets), thawed
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Store-bought pesto, for dipping
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine the cream cheese, parmesan, egg and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl; mix well. Spoon into a resealable bag; snip off the corner to make a 1/4-inch-diameter opening.
Unfold the stack of phyllo sheets on a clean surface. Working quickly to keep the dough from drying out, brush the top sheet all over with melted butter, then pipe the cheese filling along the long edge of the dough to within 1/2 inch of the ends. Fold the ends over the filling, then roll up the dough to make a straw. Place on a baking sheet; repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets and cheese mixture. Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve the cheese straws with pesto.
Photograph by Mark Peterson