- Cooking spray
- 4 6-inch portobello mushroom caps
- 4 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (preferably panko)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 shallots (1 finely chopped, 1 thinly sliced)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3 tablespoons grated pecorino romano cheese, plus shaved pecorino for topping
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 stalks celery, peeled and thinly sliced
Meanwhile, toss the spinach, breadcrumbs, mozzarella, chopped shallot, tomato, 2 tablespoons each pecorino and olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a medium bowl.
Remove the mushrooms from the broiler and turn them gill-side up on the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Mound the spinach filling on the mushrooms and top with the ricotta. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon pecorino and broil until the filling is heated through and the ricotta is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss the celery, sliced shallot and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Top with shaved pecorino. Divide the mushrooms among plates and serve with the celery salad. Drizzle with olive oil.
Per serving: Calories 380; Fat 23 g (Saturated 9 g); Cholesterol 36 mg; Sodium 671 mg; Carbohydrate 28 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 20 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos