- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 4 1/2-inch cubes pepper jack cheese (about 1 ounce total)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices cheddar cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 4 hamburger buns
- Ketchup, mustard and/or mayonnaise, for spreading (optional)
- Lettuce leaves, sliced tomato and/or sliced red onion, for topping
- Pickles, for serving (optional)
Divide the beef into 4 equal portions. Press a cube of pepper jack into the center of each and shape the meat around the cheese; form into patties, about 4 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick. Season the patties with salt and pepper.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook until browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip the patties and top each with a slice of cheddar; cook 4 to 5 more minutes.
Per serving: Calories 523; Fat 30 g (Saturated 13 g); Cholesterol116 mg; Sodium 426 mg; Carbohydrate 24 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 37 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani