- 1 1/2 pounds Boston, Bibb, green or red leaf lettuce, or a mixture, washed, trimmed, and dried
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dressing of your choice, such as shallot or herb vinaigrette, ranch, or blue cheese
- 4 ounces imported Swiss cheese, cut into 2-inch long matchstick pieces
- 4 ounces baked ham, cut into 2-inch long matchstick pieces
- 4 ounces smoked turkey, chicken or duck breast, cut into 2-inch long matchstick pieces
- 4 ounces rare roast beef, cut into 1/4-inch by 2 inch matchstick pieces
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, shelled, cut into wedges
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, diced
- 16 vine-ripened cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 kirby (pickling) cucumbers, sliced
- 1 cup toasted croutons
Tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and put into a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss with 1/2 cup of the dressing. Divide the lettuce among 4 large individual serving bowls. Arrange the cheese, meats, eggs, and avocado, like the spokes of a wheel, on top of each salad. Scatter the tomatoes, cucumbers, and croutons on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and pass the remaining dressing at the table.
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.