Chicken and Bean Burritos
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2 cloves garlic; 1 smashed, 1 minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound (about 2 cups) frozen diced butternut squash, thawed
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 1 15 -ounce can black beans
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers, plus 2 tablespoons pickling liquid
- 4 8 -inch whole-wheat tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Plain low-fat yogurt or sour cream, for serving (optional)
Heat a medium skillet over high heat. Add the rice and smashed garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 cup water, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add the squash and reduce the heat to low; cover and simmer, undisturbed, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle the chicken over the rice mixture, cover and remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, make the bean salsa: Drain and rinse the beans, quarter the tomatoes and chop the cilantro and jalapenos. Toss with the pickling liquid and minced garlic in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir the chicken-rice mixture and spoon it down the center of each tortilla, then top with half of the bean salsa and sprinkle with the cheese. Fold in the sides and roll up. Slice in half and serve with avocado, the remaining bean salsa and yogurt, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 497; Fat 15 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 25 mg; Sodium 620 mg; Carbohydrate 70 g; Fiber 11 g; Protein 24 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.