Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
- Total Time:
- 20 min
- 10 min
- 10 min
- 6 kid size servings
- 6 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cups prepared potato gnocchi (about 11 ounces), thawed if frozen
- 2 cups frozen peas (8 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, (about 1 large chicken breast)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Hunk of good Parmesan
Put chicken broth, garlic, butter and sugar in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, bring it to a simmer, and cook, uncovered until the garlic is tender, about 2 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and continue to simmer until almost tender, 2 minutes. Bring to a full boil, stir in gnocchi and, cooking until the gnocchi are al dente, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in frozen peas and chicken and turn off the heat. Season with salt take into consideration that Parmesan cheese is salty, and a generous amount of pepper, to taste. Ladle the soup into warmed shallow bowls and shower each with freshly grated cheese.
Cook's Note: For more adventurous eaters, stir in chopped parsley leaves or dill.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Alex Guarnaschelli