Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cups prepared potato gnocchi (about 11 ounces), thawed if frozen
- 2 cups frozen peas (8 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, (about 1 large chicken breast)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Hunk of good Parmesan
Put chicken broth, garlic, butter and sugar in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, bring it to a simmer, and cook, uncovered until the garlic is tender, about 2 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and continue to simmer until almost tender, 2 minutes. Bring to a full boil, stir in gnocchi and, cooking until the gnocchi are al dente, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in frozen peas and chicken and turn off the heat. Season with salt take into consideration that Parmesan cheese is salty, and a generous amount of pepper, to taste. Ladle the soup into warmed shallow bowls and shower each with freshly grated cheese.
Cook's Note: For more adventurous eaters, stir in chopped parsley leaves or dill.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.