- 4 dried Chinese black mushrooms
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, diced
- 2 ounces boiled ham, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled ginger
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, plus more for dipping
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 large egg white
- 4 scallions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely diced jicama
- 1 large head napa cabbage
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Soak the mushrooms in hot water for 30 minutes; drain. Remove the stems, then dice the caps and place in a food processor. Add the chicken, ham, ginger, 2 teaspoons salt, rice wine, sesame oil, soy sauce, cornstarch and egg white; pulse 3 or 4 times to form a coarse paste. Stir in the scallions and jicama. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
Cut the top 3 or 4 inches off the cabbage and separate the leaves (reserve the bottom for another use). Place a heaping tablespoon of filling in the center of each leaf and roll up to enclose the filling. Place seam-side down on a plate.
Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the rolls and fry until the chicken is cooked through and the cabbage is golden, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels, then serve with soy sauce.
Photograph by Sang An