- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups roughly chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, plus more for topping
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 quart fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (white meat only), skin removed
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots and Cajun seasoning and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly soft, about 4 minutes.
Stir in the quinoa, then add the chicken broth, 3 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Partially cover and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium and cook until the quinoa starts to soften, about 12 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook, uncovered, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and stir to warm through. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with the sour cream and Cajun seasoning to taste.
Per Serving: Calories: 436; Total Fat: 11 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 43 grams; Total carbohydrates: 45 grams; Sugar: grams; Fiber: 6 grams; Cholesterol: 88 milligrams; Sodium: 1441 milligrams
Photograph by Christopher Testani