Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium boneless chicken breasts, (about 12 ounces), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Sour cream or Mexican crema, for serving
- Chipotle hot sauce, for serving
1. Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large soup pot. Add the onions, garlic, and bay leaf, cook stirring occasionally until the onions are slightly soft, about 3 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook until soft around the edges, another 2 minutes. Scatter the flour over the vegetables and stir until the flour is absorbed into the mixture, 1 minute.
2. Add the broth to the pot, whisking until smooth. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat and season with 2 teaspoons salt and some pepper. Once the soup boils, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, stir into the soup and cook until just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add the cilantro and divide the soup into 4 serving bowls. Top each soup with sour cream and chipotle hot sauce as desired. Serve.
Total Fat: 19 grams
Saturated Fat: 9.5 grams
Total Carbohydrates: 34 grams
Protein: 23 grams
Sodium: 1185 milligrams
Cholesterol: 87 milligrams
Fiber: 4 grams
More Recipes and Ideas:
Peas and Potato Soup with Tarragon Pesto, Yukon Gold Potato Soup with Chive Oil, Beet Reduction and Sweet Garlic Confit Croutons, Colombian Chicken, Corn, and Potato Stew: Ajiaco, Sesame Chicken Recipes, Turkey Breast Recipes, Seafood Soup Recipes, Chicken and Dumpling Recipes, Chicken Alfredo Recipes, Chicken Breast Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.