Chicken Caesar Salad
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 30 min
- 20 min
- 2 hr
- 10 min
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 134 pounds)
- Lemon-Pepper Slather (recipe below)
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 large egg
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts, torn into pieces
- 4 3/4 -inch-thick slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus 2-ounces, shaved
- Lemon Pepper Slather:
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely grated lemon zest (from 4 large lemons)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
1. Coat chicken with Lemon-Pepper Slather sealed in plastic bag. Refrigerate for 2 or up to 24 hours.
2. Preheat a grill to medium.
3. Soak anchovy fillets in cold water 5 minutes. Pat dry, chop coarsely, and place in a large salad bowl. Place egg in a small saucepan with water to cover. Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat, drain, and crack egg into bowl. Discard shell and any attached cooked white. Crush 1 garlic clove, sprinkle with 34 teaspoon salt, and mash into a coarse paste using flat side of a large knife. Add to bowl. Add lemon juice and Worcestershire and slowly whisk in oil until creamy. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and refrigerate.
4. Pat chicken dry; season with salt and black pepper. Grill chicken, turning once, until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board.
5. Brush bread with olive oil and grill, turning occasionally, until toasted. Halve remaining garlic clove and rub onto toast. Season with salt to taste and break into bite-size croutons.
6. Add lettuce to salad bowl; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese and croutons, toss, and divide salad among plates. Slice chicken and top each salad with a sliced chicken breast. Top with shaved Parmesan and serve immediately.
Pulse peppercorns in a spice grinder until coarsely ground. Add salt and sugar and pulse a few more times. Transfer to a bowl and stir in olive oil, lemon zest, and garlic. Heat in microwave, (do not let boil), about 45 seconds. Cool before using.
Total Fat: 36 grams
Saturated Fat: 7 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 46 grams
Protein: 46 grams
Sodium: 1110 milligrams
Cholesterol: 125 milligrams
Fiber: 3 grams
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse