- 4 chicken cutlets (1/4 inch thick; 3/4 to 1 pound total)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices Black Forest ham
- 8 slices smoked mozzarella
- 1 baguette
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 bunch watercress or arugula, tough stems removed
Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil and evenly space the chicken cutlets in the center. Brush the chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil, rotating the baking sheet as needed so the chicken cooks evenly, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue to broil until cooked through, 2 to 3 more minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and top each piece of chicken with 1 slice ham and 2 slices mozzarella. Broil until the cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and drizzle with olive oil.
Meanwhile, cut the baguette crosswise into 4 equal pieces, then split open. Spread the bottom halves with butter and the top halves with mustard. Toss the watercress with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sandwich the chicken and watercress between the baguette halves.
Per serving: Calories 603; Fat 31 g (Saturated 15 g); Cholesterol 121 mg; Sodium 1,265 mg; Carbohydrate 39 g; Fiber 0 g; Protein 41 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos