Chicken-Lentil Curry Soup
- 1 bunch scallions (white and light green parts only), chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 1/4 -inch-thick slices peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup cilantro, plus more for topping
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 cooking apples (such as McIntosh or Fuji), peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 13 .5-ounce can light coconut milk
- Kosher salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper
Pulse the scallions, jalapeno, ginger, cilantro and garlic in a food processor until chopped. With the motor running, add the apples, a few pieces at a time, until chopped.
Cook the curry powder in a Dutch oven or large pot overmedium-high heat, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Whisk in the coconut milk until smooth; cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the apple-scallion mixture and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 more minutes.
Stir in the chicken broth and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the lentils are tender and broken down, about 15 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; top with cilantro.
Per serving: Calories 399; Fat 9 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 58 mg; Sodium 446 mg; Carbohydrate 50 g; Fiber 11 g; Protein 34 g
Photograph by Justin Walker
Thank you! your flag was submitted.