Piccata is a classic preparation for chicken, but can be heavy on your diet as it's a butter and wine-based sauce. This lighter version saves you calories by adding the zip of white wine with a tiny bit of vinegar to finish (as opposed to a cup or more simmered down), and getting the most of 1 tablespoon of butter by swirling it into the sauce at the end.
- 1 pound chicken scaloppini (about 4 ounces each)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon, zest reserved for optional garnish, about 2 tablespoons juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Baby arugula for garnish
- Whole-wheat angel hair pasta or roasted potatoes, for serving
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot; cook the cutlets until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the cutlets to a plate. (Reserve the skillet.) Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium.
Add the remaining teaspoon oil and garlic to the same skillet; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk together the broth, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon flour, and add to the pan. Simmer sauce until reduced and thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, parsley and capers. Swirl in the butter until sauce is shiny and slightly thickened.
Serve chicken with the sauce. Toss the arugula and freshly grated lemon zest with a light drizzle of olive oil; season to taste with salt and pepper, scatter over chicken. Serve with pasta or potatoes as desired.
Per serving (does not include arugula or pasta/potatoes for serving): Calories: 207; Total Fat: 9.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Protein: 25 grams; Total carbohydrates: 4 grams; Sugar: 0 grams; Fiber: 0 grams; Cholesterol: 73 milligrams; Sodium: 268 milligrams
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved