Chicken Potpie Soup
- 1 disk refrigerated pie dough
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch of poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 10 -ounce package frozen mixed peas and carrots
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Unroll the pie dough onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with pepper and a pinch of poultry seasoning; cut into quarters. Bake until puffed and golden, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, undisturbed, 2 minutes, then cook, stirring, 1 more minute. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the celery, onion, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning to the pot and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups water, the broth, half-and-half and potatoes; cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, 10 minutes. Add the peas and carrots and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Return the chicken to the pot and simmer until cooked through, about 1 minute. Divide among bowls and top with the crust.
Per serving: Calories 707; Fat 29 g (Saturated 15 g); Cholesterol 132 mg; Sodium 965 mg; Carbohydrate 69 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 41 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.