Chicken Salad Pita with Baba Ghanoush
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons dried mint, crumbled
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 chicken scallopine (4 to 5 ounces each)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 unpeeled kirby cucumber, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 pocketless pitas
- 1/2 cup baba ghanoush (eggplant spread, sold near hummus in the refrigerated section)
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
Whisk the vinegar, mint, red pepper flakes, 1 clove garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add the chicken and marinate about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the tomatoes, cucumber and the remaining 1 clove garlic in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the chicken until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into 1/2-inch-thick strips. Toss with the vegetables.
Brush the pitas with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt. Grill, turning once, until marked. Place a pita on each plate and spread with baba ghanoush. Top with lettuce and chicken salad and drizzle with any juices from the bowl.
Per serving: Calories 342; Fat 15 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 74 mg; Sodium 587 mg; Carbohydrate 24 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 29 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.