Marinating the chicken with ginger, fish sauce, lime and lemongrass adds a big boost of flavor without fat. The peanut sauce gets madeover with some light coconut milk and reduced fat peanut butter. A crunchy slaw brings it all together.
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for grilling
- 1/4 small Napa cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 6 ounces snap peas, shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Wooden skewers
- Spicy Peanut Sauce for serving, recipe follows
1. Whisk together fish sauce, lime juice, lemongrass, agave, soy sauce, ginger, chili flakes and garlic (makes 3/4 cup). Pour 1/2 cup marinade into a shallow baking dish; reserve the remaining 1/4 cup. Thinly slice chicken crosswise, with your knife slightly on the diagonal. Add the chicken to the marinade in the baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high; soak about 24 skewers in water for 20 minutes. Thread chicken onto skewers. Lightly oil grill grates; sear or grill chicken in batches until cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Toss slaw; serve with chicken and Spicy Peanut Sauce, if desired.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Nutritional analysis per serving (includes peanut sauce)
Calories 225; Total Fat 9g (Sat Fat 1.5g, Mono Fat 2.5g, Poly Fat 4g); Protein 22g; Carb 15g; Fiber 2g; Cholesterol 44mg; Sodium 654mg
Spicy Peanut Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
Combine all ingredients in a bowl with 1 tablespoon water; whisk until smooth.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional analysis per serving (for spicy peanut sauce only)
Calories 60; Total Fat 3g (Sat Fat 1g, Mono Fat 1g, Poly Fat 1g) ; Protein 2g; Carb 6g; Fiber 1g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 227mg