- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
- 5 slices white bread, torn
- 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 4 chicken cutlets, about 1/8 inch thick (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Applesauce, for serving (optional)
Whisk the yogurt and mustard in a bowl until smooth; set aside.
Pulse the bread in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a shallow dish and add the marjoram, and salt and pepper to taste. In another shallow dish, season the flour with the paprika and nutmeg. Beat the eggs in a third dish. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat 1/8 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 2 cutlets, gently swirling the skillet so the oil washes over them, and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and season with salt. Repeat with the remaining chicken, adjusting the heat as needed. Serve the schnitzel with the mustard sauce and applesauce, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 629; Fat 35 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 192 mg; Sodium 953 mg; Carbohydrate 34 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 45 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos