- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 small clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- Kosher salt
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 tomatillos, husked, rinsed and diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
Butterfly the chicken: Slice each breast almost in half horizontally (do not cut all the way through); open like a book so the chicken lies flat.
Combine the olive oil, garlic, ancho chile powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, chipotle chile powder, 1 teaspoon lime juice and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
Preheat a grill to medium. Meanwhile, make the salsa: Toss the tomatoes, tomatillos, red onion and the remaining 3 teaspoons lime juice in a bowl; season with salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Brush the grill grates with olive oil. Grill the chicken, turning once, until marked and just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Top with the salsa and serve with the lime wedges.
Per serving: Calories: 344 ;Total Fat: 7 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 gram; Protein: 60 grams; Total carbohydrates: 7 grams; Sugar: 0 grams; Fiber: 1 gram; Cholesterol: 148 milligrams; Sodium: 769 milligrams
Photograph by Yunhee Kim