Chili Con Carne
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- Total Time:
- 2 hr
- 45 min
- 1 hr 15 min
- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more as needed
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 15 -ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 1/2 -ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Serving suggestions: White rice, chopped cilantro, shredded Cheddar, chopped tomatoes, minced fresh or pickled jalapeno peppers, sour cream
1. Pat the meat dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the meat, in batches, and cook, turning, until well browned, about 3 minutes per batch, adding more oil to the pan as needed. Transfer the meat to a bowl and reserve.
2. Add the onion to the pot and cook over medium heat until golden and tender, scraping up the browned bits with a wooden spoon from the bottom of the pan, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 2 minutes more. Stir in 1/4 cup chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for 2 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and 2 cups broth. Add the meat and any accumulated juices back to the pot. Bring to a gentle simmer. Season chili with salt and pepper, cover, and cook 30 minutes.
3. In a food processor or blender, puree half the beans with remaining 1/2 cup broth. Add both the whole and pureed beans to the chili. Let simmer, uncovered, until the meat is tender, about 1 hour more, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon chili powder and season with salt and pepper, as needed. Serve chili over rice with condiments as desired.
Total Fat: 35 grams
Saturated Fat: 8 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 33 grams
Protein: 66 grams
Sodium: 795 milligrams
Cholesterol: 167 milligrams
Fiber: 11 grams