- 2 large onions
- 1/3 cup New Mexico chili powder
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 8 thin-cut boneless pork chops (about 2 pounds total), trimmed
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Spanish rice, for serving (optional)
Slice the remaining 1 1/2 onions into thin rings and place in a bowl with the chili puree and pork; toss to coat.
Lightly brush a large cast-iron skillet or grill pan with vegetable oil and place over high heat until almost smoking. Place 4 pork chops in the skillet and surround with half of the onions. Cook until the pork starts to blacken on the outside and is cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining pork chops and onions. Serve with rice, if desired.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos