- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 large white onion, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- 1 10-ounce can Mexican-style diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow squash, diced
- 2 cups coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
- Juice of 1 lime, plus lime wedges for serving
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 tostadas (flat crisp tortillas) or taco shells
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, half of the minced onion, 1 teaspoon salt and the chipotle chile powder; cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the meat is browned and the onion is tender, about 7 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, beans and zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is just tender, about 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss the coleslaw mix, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
Divide the tostadas among plates and spoon the beef mixture on top. Top with the cheese, slaw and the remaining minced onion. Serve with lime wedges.
Per serving: Calories 805; Fat 54 g (Saturated 19 g); Cholesterol 115 mg; Sodium 1,297 mg; Carbohydrate 47 g; Fiber 11 g; Protein 35 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos