- 12 large strawberries, hulled
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 cups dry pancake and waffle mix (plus additional ingredients as directed on package)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Put the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high at 15-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate is almost melted; remove and stir until smooth. Dip the strawberries in the melted chocolate; return to the parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze until the chocolate hardens, about 15 minutes.
Dip the chocolate-covered strawberries in the batter, turning to coat; let any excess drip off. (If the batter is too thin, add 1 to 3 more tablespoons dry mix.) Carefully place the berries in the hot oil (skewers and all); fry, turning as needed, until the batter is golden and just cooked through, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove with tongs and drain on paper towels or a rack. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to re-harden. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Photograph by Levi Brown