- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
- Kosher salt
- 1 6 -ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground pepper
- 12 ounces cooked spaghetti
- 1 19 -ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound grated cheddar cheese
- Oyster crackers, for serving
Heat the oil in a medium Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add half the chopped onions and the garlic and cook until soft, stirring, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, allspice, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne and cloves. Cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add the beef and cook the mixture, stirring, until the beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon salt.
Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, bay leaf and 1 1/2 cups water; simmer the mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thicker. Add the chocolate, vinegar and Worcestershire and cook until the mixture is thickened but still soupy, about 15 more minutes.
Discard the bay leaf and season the chili with the freshly ground pepper. Divide the spaghetti among bowls and top with the chili, beans, remaining onion and cheddar. Serve with the oyster crackers.
Photograph by Ellie Miller
Thank you! your flag was submitted.