- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 12 to 14 small vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup kalamata olives, halved and pitted
- 5 Persian cucumbers
- 1 4-ounce block Greek feta cheese, packed in brine
- Fresh oregano leaves, for topping (optional)
- Soak the red onion in a bowl of heavily salted ice water, 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk the vinegar, lemon zest and juice, honey, dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified. Add the tomatoes and olives and toss.
Peel the cucumbers, leaving alternating strips of green peel. Trim the ends, halve lengthwise and slice crosswise, about 1/2 inch thick; add to the bowl with the tomatoes. Drain the red onion, add to the bowl and toss.
Drain the feta and slice horizontally into 4 even rectangles. Divide the salad among plates. Top with the feta and oregano; drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.
Photograph by Johnny Miller