- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- 1 1 1/4-to-1 1/2-pound skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- Juice of 1/2 lime, plus lime wedges for serving
- Cornbread, for serving (optional)
Combine 2 tablespoons brown sugar, the instant coffee, cocoa powder, mustard powder, chile powder, cinnamon and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl; rub the mixture between your fingers until fine. Season the steak with salt, then generously rub with the coffee-spice mixture.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Working in batches if necessary, sear the steak, 3 to 6 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest; reserve the juices in the skillet.
Add the remaining 1 teaspoon brown sugar and the onion to the skillet. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and 1/4 cup water; cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving (does not include corn bread): Calories: 337; Total Fat: 16.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 6 grams; Protein: 37 grams; Total carbohydrates: 9 grams; Sugar: 5 grams; Fiber: 1 gram; Cholesterol: 111 milligrams; Sodium: 360 milligrams
Photograph by Kang Kim